|This article is about the dimension. For the original The Aether mod, see The Aether I. For the sequel, see The Aether II.|
The Aether is the main dimension in the Aether II: Highlands mod. This article only covers elements found in the Aether II: Highlands mod. Like all dimensions, the Aether can generate infinitely. Aether Portals in the Overworld can be used to teleport to the Aether.
It is full of empty space, with islands in between each other. Along with normal clouds, groups of blocks generate in the sky, which are called Aerclouds.
Islands generate at a specific range of layers in the Aether, as a result, islands in the Aether tend to occupy an 'equator belt' of the Aether, not being able to generate above or below a certain threshold. Islands can vary in size, from barely being landmasses, to spanning thousands of blocks in distance. Mobs falling to their death is a very common, especially if a player flies below using Creative Mode, and not even Moas are safe. Overworld Aether Portals leading here will spawn the player at a common range of y layer.
Day and night
A day-night cycle is fully present and functions just like in the Overworld, where the sun acts as a light source. At night, the moon is the only natural light source and hostile mobs spawn during the night or where lighting is not sufficient.
Aether II: Highlands
- Initial release: Introduced
- 1.10b2: Aether Portal spawning in the Aether fixed
- 1.10b3: Cloud generation enabled again in the Aether
- Players now die immediately if they fall out of the Aether
- Cloud rendering is now disabled in the Aether
- 1.10b6: Small rocks and twigs added to Aether world-gen
- 1.11b1: Aether biome water color fixed
- Introduction before entering the Aether
- Aether and Overworld now have separate inventories
- XP Orbs no longer spawn in the Aether and experience bar is removed in the Aether
- Screen no longer goes black after going back to the Aether
- 1.12.2-1.0.1: The Aether is now always loaded
- Death system isolated to Aether only
- Aether's death system now respects keepInventory now
- Removed vanilla-style lakes in the Aether
- Refactored a few noise generators, significantly reduced noise generation overhead of WorldPreparationAether#replaceBiomeBlocks
- Potential fix for players who somehow never visited a campfire and dies in the Aether
- 1.12.2-1.0.7: Drastically changed Aether load semantics, fixes many bugs
- Removed seperate inventories for the Aether dimension
- The XP bar is no longer hidden by default in the Aether